Skip to main content

Post #11

Around a week ago I planned on making my final magazine cover page. However, I encountered a problem. Since I'm in a group, we all are doing different editions of the same magazine. This means that we all need to have the same format for each of our magazines. My group mate, Remy, created out house style and sample cover pages on an app on her phone called PicsArt. However, I planned on making my specific magazine on the website Canva. When trying to make my magazine cover, I looked for the font, 6caps, but it was not avaliable on there. I then decided to download the PicsArt app on my phone and create my magazine on there. Since the app is not specifically made for making magazines, I decided to look up dimensions of the average magazine online, and the majority of the results were around 8.5" wide and 15" tall. When trying to enter these dimensions onto my intended cover photo. It would not work, stating that they were too small. This was really confusing to me, so I talked with my group about what we should do.

We decided to create our magazine on canva. This meant that we needed to find a new font to represent the house style in the title and on the magazine in general. After scrolling through the hundreds of avaliable fonts, which took about a week of arguing with each other, we decided on a couple fonts to incorporate on our cover page and through out the magazine. The first font is called Anton. We decided to use it in our house style for our title because it's bold, which emphasizes the red in the title. This adds an extra pop of color to the cover page, which helps draw in our intended teen audience. Speaking of the color red, our slogan is also that color. We decided to make it red because it would show a direct connection between the title and the slogan. For the slogan font, we made it Kollektif because it's thin. We did not want people focusing all their attention on the slogan, but rather the headline and the magazine title. For the headline and strap line, we used the font Abril FatFace because it was bold with a softer look. Since the headline contains my main article, I wanted it to stand out to my readers. However, every other font used in the cover page and through out the rest of my magazine had a harsher cut to it. With the font Abril FatFace, it had more curves to it, which helps soften the tone of the magazine. In addition to this, I made the color for the headline black. This is the only text featured on the cover in black, which helps it stand out. Finally, I used the font Antonio Light for my puffs. Our group chose this font because its thin and long. This gives the vibe that they are important, while not taking the eye off the headline and title.

Here are what the fonts look like:



Comments