Skip to main content

Post #16

When comparing the sweet spots on both teen fashion and environmental magazines, I noticed that teen fashion magazines use their sweet spots for a variety of things, while environmental magazines tend to have no sweet spots. Of course, I want to fill up the empty space in the top right area of my magazine because my genre is teen fashion. Teen fashion magazines have a lot of words and color everywhere, while environmental magazines are more simpler. However, when researching about sweet spots on environmental magazines, I was hoping that I would get some ideas of a way to include the environment aspect in my specific magazine edition.

The funny thing is, when typing that last sentence, I got an idea of what to put in my sweet spot. Today, the first thought that came to my head was about putting "2019 edition" into the sweet spot, but the more I thought about it the more dumb it sounded to me. There would be more Off-The-Rack magazines published in this year, so they would all have the "2019 edition" sweet spot as well. This would make my specific magazine seem less valuable to a potential buyer because there would be multiple magazines of the same edition. Now, if I put "Environmental Edition" in my sweet spot, it would seem more special because the company Off-The-Rack mainly focuses on the good side of teen fashion, such as trends and tips, while my "Environmental Edition" of the magazine will focus on the less talked about effects of teen fashion, which not many other teen fashion magazines talk about, too. My magazine will therefore seem special to my teen audience and will make them more inclined to buy it.

When putting together my sweet spot, I wanted to incorporate elements of both teen fashion and environmental magazines into it. Since my magazine is the special environmental edition, I decided to make my sweet spot green to both represent the environment and add an extra pop of color to my magazine. I then made my sweet spot font the same font as the one in my headline and strap line, Abril Fatface. I'm not using a different font for the sweet spot because I do not want to have too many different fonts on my cover. I feel like having so many different fonts in one place will make it look unorganized and messy. Finally, I decided to make the words environmental and edition separate. This was because the word environmental was too big to fit in the sweet spot with a readable font, so either both words would be small or only the word environmental. Since the word environmental was smaller, I wanted to still make it somewhat important, so I italicized it in order to draw attention to it and make it seem more fancy. Anyways, now that I figured out my sweet spot, I am officially done with my magazine cover. Here is the result:




Comments