Skip to main content

Post #27

After finishing my article, I wanted to take a picture to put in my article. I ideally wanted the picture to act as a visual for my readers to get an idea of what fast fashion looks like. However, I do not really have much access to factories, landfills, or polluted rivers, so I had to get creative. I remembered that I actually have a lot of old clothes that I do not wear from my "middle school days" but never got rid of. More importantly, a lot of these clothes were produced with fast fashion and contain logos of the companies on them. I wanted to make sure that the shot was close enough to where the reader could tell what brands the clothing was, but far enough to make it look as though there is an overwhelming amount of clothing. Because of these factors, I decided to go with a close up shot to capture my photo.

As for the setting, I was definitely not going to take this photo outside because I did not want to get my clothes dirty.  I chose to take it on my wooden floor in my bedroom because it is clean and close to my clothes drawer, so it would be easy to take out the clothes for the photo shoot and then put them back. I pilled up my clothes to where the ones with no logo were at the bottom to form the foundation of the pile, while the ones on the top had big and bright logos, such as Ralph Lauren, Sauce Avenue, and Hollister. The hardest part of the photo shoot was trying to make it match with the colorful, environmental theme in my magazine yet give the photo a gloomy look to convey the message to my audience that fast fashion is a bad thing. I decided to mix some of the colorful clothing on top with some darker colors, such as navy and black. 

When taking photos with a caption, I learned from the photo shoot with Morgan that I need to make everything in my photo fit horizontally so that it would take up less space vertically, making more room for my text. I therefore only took two photos, which looked about the same. Even though this photo does not seem like it was taken horizontally, I purposely matched the Sauce, Pink, and Hollister logos next to each other on a horizontal angle. This is because I am going to crop this photo in Canva and make it less vertical, so the reader can clearly see the logos.

Comments